Monday, June 27, 2011

Day Trip


Last thursday has got to be one of the most happening days since I got to the states.
Made a trip downtown LA in Hollywood, then Santa Monica. The total travel time was
about nearly 6 hours with about one hour to Hollywood and about 2 hours to Santa
Monica from Hollywood. All of this include waiting for bus and train. Despite the tiring
travel involved, it was truly worth the trip as we really saw AMERICA. What I see here
in my area is a barren desert with nothing to offer.

For the day I only had one travel companion with me but I have no complaints. She was
punctual, considerate and good listener/talker. We headed out early in the morning to
catch the bus. After arriving at the central bus station we bumped into a colleague who
was nice enough to direct us to our destination. To be honest, we were both very lost at
first and was not sure of our heading. But all I had to do was ask around. From the bus
driver, the old man at the bus stop, the security guard at the train station to the punk
with a scateboard by the sidewalk. All were nice enough go give me correct directions.
Anyways, our first destination was Hollywood. The first thing me and Candy realized
was that the scene was totally different from our area. The buildings were taller, the
people were well dressed, there were more cars and even the sky was different. But
within 60 seconds my money was stolen. Dont worry, it was only a dollar. You see, there
are people in costumes hanging around Hollywood ready to take pictures. Some guy
dressed as zorro "seduced" Candy into taking a pic with here. He did it all with a
hispanic accent.

Madamme mossel eh, do you wanna takeh the pichah wither me ah?

After we took the pic. We were about to walk off when he suddenly told me in normal
American accent. "Dude, we take tips for pictures". I gave him a dollar and walked off.
Haha, serves him right. Even a dollar was too much. Being in Hollywood was nostalgic
as Ive been there once with my family. It was good to see the place again, nothing has
changed.

Candy looking into the horizon looking for HK

After spending about 2 hours in Hollywood, we headed off to Santa Monica Pier, as you
can see from the picture above. The place was somewhat not what I expected. It was
infact better. There was something about it that made it kinda special. The scenery
was very vibrant. From the sidewalk towards the pier, I can hear tribal drums being
played by street performers, loud techno music played from topless cars and the sound
of wind whispering through my ear. There was a mini themepark on the pier hence the
ferris wheel. Seagulls were flying about, and the sound of people muffling the sound of
the tide bringing in the waves. I guess it kinda reminded me abit of Penang :(

The trip ended well and there was hardly any difficulty in our trip. Going out again
next thursday. Will upload more photos. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment