Monday, July 6, 2009

Flatulence


Flatulence?
To make it simpler, the expulsion of gas that accumulates in your rectum through the anus.
The gas is made up of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and flammable components like methane and hydrogen.
The gas is also known as flatus, or FART.

I remember once when I went Penang with friends for vacation.
Being students, 6 of us (all guy) economically stuffed ourselves into a small hotel room with only two joined single beds.
We stacked together like sandwiches or a man-train,
imagine that, 6 grown-up men on 2 single beds.
Thank God, things got better when my friend and I farted simultaneously that made everyone else jumped off the bed.

Anyway, neither I'm here to give you guys tutorial on how to fart, nor I'm here to tell you how useful is it to fart in certain "critical" situations.

I'm just gonna share something I noticed during my expedition at Mt. Kinabalu recently.
If you've ever climbed a mountain before, you should know in order to climb a mountain, you basically need stamina, energy and "a bit" of perseverance, especially when we talk about Mt. Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in Malaysia, 4095.2m above sea level.
So, normally mountain climbers won't waste much energy on talking/singing/sex or whatsoever.
On the contrary, they will stay focus on the rugged mountain path to prevent rolling down from the mountain.
Since, nobody is talking, while climbing mountain, it should be extremely quiet except for the hissing sound made by the animals and insects.
However, somehow/quite frequently you will hear another weird sound.....

Pronounced as "PUT"
but make it a little longerrrrrrr,

"Puttttttttttttttttt"

Yes, mountain climbers fart a lot!
This strange phenomenon got worse as we went higher.
I wasn't an exception~ haha
Being a civilised person, I've to admit, it's quite immoral and digusting to fart in public.
Moreover, it's quite embarrassing if you accidentally let out a "loud and smelly" one.

As a science student, I was curious about this unusual phenomenon and later I did my research on Flatulence.

I found out that we fart at high altitude just simply because the air pressure outside decrease and so the volume occupied by intestinal gas increased. According to an article "Do you toot more at high altitude?", it says experiments revealed that the volume of intestinal gas, typically around 115 milliliters at sea level, doubled at 15,000 feet (4572 m), tripled at 25,000 feet (7620 m), and rose by a factor of 7.6 at 40,000 feet (12192 m).

Although, the pressure increase at the peak of Mt. KK, 13,346 feet (4095.2 m) is less severed compared to 40,000 feet but it's probably enough to pump your gut up like a balloon!

So, next time don't hesitate to fart (a loud one/a silent one/an odourless one/a smelly one) when you're on the plane or when you're clmbing a mountain.

Be grateful all you did was just fart~

Just let it all out! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment