Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mt. Kinabalu?

From the title, you might expect this "King Scout" to boast about how great he was,
about how pro/fast/easy/unchallenging it was for him to conquer Mount Kinabalu.

But! No! King Scout is certainly not going to boast about that. However it was true that its level of difficulty still considered "moderate" for King Scout. =D

Before I go KK, I heard lots of saying about this tallest mountain in Malay Archipelago,

Some say....

"Aiyahhh, you must really go for training ah, if not boleh mati ooo"

Some say....

"20 years ago I went it was terrible, but now, it has stairs everywhere, and the paths are nicely built, zero difficulty"

Some say....

"Aiyahhh, as long as you got legs, no prablemmm laaar"

Obviously, being an optimistic person, I took the positive comments and ignore those that demotivate/frightening.

and so, I went Mt. Kinabalu with two different characters/mentalities,
One, as a King Scout who overly underestimated Mt. Kinabalu.
Second, as an innocent boy who seriously got cheated by those comforting comments about how easy it is to conquer Mt. Kinabalu.

Actually, there are two trails to the summit, one is via "Timpohon Gate" the other is via "Mesilau Gate".
Damn the guide who brought of to Mesilau Gate!
Why? because this two gates don't differ just by the name, but distance too.
Mesilau pathway is 2 km+ longer!!
Well, whats the big deal right,
Mesilau way has more worth-seeing sceneries,
Moreover I'm the "King Scout".
No fear. =P

So, the total distance is around 11.2 km from the bottom until the summit.
But, for your information, to conquer Mt. Kinabalu, it's not a matter of 5 hours to 10 hours but at least 2 days 1 night.
Basically from starting till half hill, it is around 8.2 KM.

You might be thinking there,
8.2?? I press on my BMW accelerator only, within 10 minutes I can simply go 10 km~

The reality is that, we took 10 hours just to reach the half hill.
From Morning 9:30am till Night 7:30pm.
For seconds, I thought I can't feel my own legs.

We had the most "tastiest" dinner at half hill and went to sleep at 9:30pm.
The shelter was as bad as the food.

2am in the morning, not even the cocks have gotten up, I mean the roosters,
we already awaken by the mountain guide and we got to start climbing up the peak before the sun rises.
8 of us went Mt. Kinabalu but only 6 attempted to reach the top.

From half hill to the Summit (Low's Peak), at least 3 freaking hours. (2.7km)
In the darkness, I didn't sleep well, in bad condition with a little headache, I climbed like a thirsty puppy sticking its tongue out.
Just while I was deeply exhausted after 1 and half hour climbing,
I saw million of stars blinking in the sky,
I thought I've reached the peak, but I was wrong,
so, I perservered and kept climbing,
At point when I saw more and bigger stars, as if I could reach them,
yet it wasn't the peak yet.
Again, I perservered, I told myself I must reach the top,
Or else, where am I going to hide myself with the name of "King Scout".

Suddenly, a feeling of stomach grinding,
I wasn't hungry, just that I need to unleash something that has trapped inside my anus for at least 48 hours.
But, hell, where to find toilet in the middle of the mountain??
Hell No I gonna shit in my pants or to turn back.
So, I kept climbing with slow pace.
Until I reached the Peak!!
4095.2 m

God, I finally did it...
The feeling of proud and satisfaction,
the feeling of I can do it!

Anyway out of the 6 who tried to reach the peak,
only 4 managed to reach.

We watched the sunrise,
We took a million of photos,
Joy and happiness that not words could describe =D
However, there was still something that upset me,

but it wasn't the cold weather up there which made me shiver,
or the pressure that made me feel uncomfortable,
it was the stomach-grinding.
It was as if forcing an immediate release of the "detainees" inside my anus.

We were told by the mountain guide to leave as soon as we saw the sunrise,
cause soon, there will be fog as a result of water evaporation
and that could simply blind our way and could be pretty dangerous.

Considering that Mt. Kinabalu is so sacred according to legend,
I never thought of taking a crap there =P
but with the "encouragement" of the mountain guide saying that the sacred Mr. Mt. Kinabalu will forgive me for my emergency,
I took a crap behind a huge rock!
*Careful if you go next time, don't step on it =D

Going up and coming down from the peak took us 6 hours.

We had breakfast at half hill,
then around 11:20 am, we start rushing downhill using a shorter way,
but still that took us another 5 hours.

10 hours to reach half hill
6 hours up and down the Summit
5 hours from half hill to the ground.
Total of 21 hours walking and climbing.

not so tough afterall~ not even one day yet.

Sap sap sui la....








No comments:

Post a Comment